A simple marketing strategy for your law or accountancy firm
“Marketing!” If you want to stress out Joe Lawyer or Mary Accountant, talk to them about how marketing their services is no longer a nice-to-have, it’s now an absolute necessity. For some firms it’s a matter of reaching full profit potential – for others it’s a basic requirement for survival.
But the stressor is that there’s a conflict here – how on earth do you get around to actually doing it?
Unless you have someone with the know-how, the enthusiasm and the time to do it in-house, you’ll have to outsource a major part of it. And we’ve all heard of marketing firms charging well over R20k to create a basic website, or many thousands of Rand every month to run a basic suite of marketing services. That’s a hard ask for smaller firms with limited marketing budgets.
A Simple 3 Point Plan
The good news is that you really needn’t get fancy here. When firms ask us for advice (we offer a no-obligation “Brand Consultation” – contact us for more) we help you have a good look at your particular circumstances and needs.
And nine times out of ten, we recommend that, if you haven’t already got them, you start off with these three basics –
- A newsletter: Regular, quality newsletters have been the core marketing tool for professional firms for decades. Why? They combine professionalism and effectiveness to make sure you remain top-of-mind all the time with your target market. Just make sure that they give value to your readers – useful and interesting information that they can actually use.
- A LinkedIn page: In the Internet Age you have to have a strong online presence. Why? Most prospective quality new clients, even those from direct referrals, will – before they do anything else – Google you. And if they can’t find you, what are they to think? Are you perhaps a new, untried practice? Trying to hide something? Perhaps still stuck in the Dinosaur Age? The cure is easy – a LinkedIn presence. Don’t “sweat the small stuff” here, just keep it simple, tell the world how competent and experienced you are, and don’t forget to put your profile pic in (it makes you “real”).
- A website: This is the only one of the “three basics” that you can – if you really need to – defer for a while. But don’t delay too long. And don’t be upsold here – your website needn’t be fancy and it certainly needn’t be expensive. So long as it projects your professionalism, and so long as it tells visitors quickly and concisely what you do and why they can trust you, it’s doing the job. While we’re on the topic, avoid these three common mistakes –
- Contact details hard to find – bad, bad idea. Have an obvious “Contact Us” link on every page of your website.
- Hard to navigate or slow to load – often different facets of the same problem here, and a total put-off for anyone who takes the trouble to find you online.
- No profile pics – your mugshot is as essential here as it is on your LinkedIn page. This is cyberspace, full of deception and hyperbole, so make yourself and your team “real” to that prospective new client.
How to integrate your marketing strategy
We’ll help you here, but it’s easy. Your newsletters will link to your website and to all your Social Media pages. We’ll show you how to use RSS feeds to effortlessly update all your online pages with your monthly newsletter.
We’ll tell you if we think you would benefit from any other marketing ideas (see our Marketing Services Page for the most popular ones) and if so how to tie them in with your overall marketing strategy.
The bottom line
Law firm marketing and accountancy firm marketing needn’t be stressful. It needn’t be expensive. It can be simple, low-effort and highly cost-effective. Contact Us for more.